Customers are wanting their decks to be as much of a fashion statement as they are built well. A common question we get at Archadeck is, “what is the best way to have my deck boards run?”
We typically recommend running the deck boards on a diagonal for three reasons but there are exceptions to this:
1. This will normally allow us to build your deck without splices as most decks are designed wider than the actual projection away from the house.
2. This construction method allows for structural integrity as the boards span multiple floor joists and avoids “racking”
3. The diagonal pattern is pleasing to most of our customers from an aesthetic appeal standpoint.
The exceptions are as follows:
1. When using composite decking, most manufactures recommend spacing the floor joists 12″ on center when using composites due to the weight
2. When you are looking at cutting some cost and the dimensions of the deck are designed for standard lumber sizes to eliminate waste
To see some pretty deck board designs, go to http://www.charlotte.archadeck.com