The two most common patio materials that are used by professionals today in the Charlotte, NC market are pavers and travertine. The question we are often asked is to compare the two?
Archadeck of Charlotte stone patio and landscape design
- Larger tile like shapes
- Closer seams so limited room for dirt or weeds
- finished clean look
- slightly higher priced
- Multiple patterns and shapes
- tend to fade from sun
- slightly lower priced
- installed with sand in between where weeds can grow from the top
Both products are widely accepted in the market and hold up well over time. The key to any patio installation is the proper base and preparation with an eye towards drainage. For more information, go to archadeckofcharlotte.com
Archadeck of Charlotte designed this Gazebo pool cabana with fire pit and patio
With the explosion in the outdoor living category, there are more innovations being used for patios and porches. Over the past 10 years, the use of Travertine Tile style pavers has seen a boom!
Travertine Tile stone deck with iron rail by Archadeck of Charlotte
The combination of the beauty of the product and the low-maintenance have made it grow in popularity. In addition, the price of Travertine is not that much greater than a paver patio.
Travertine stone raised patio in Charlotte by Archadeck with stone steps
The consistent question that arises is whether or not Travertine is slippery? The quick answer is no. This is true if you are using the Travertine stone paver (as opposed to travertine tile). In addition, so of the commercial sealers can make it more slippery. We have found it to be no more slippery that any other stone patio! To see some great patio designs, visit our stone patio photo gallery on our website.
What are the options for flooring for a screen porch in Charlotte? There are several viable options. I will attempt to explain the pro’s and con’s of each option.
1. If you already have an existing slab, this will be far and away the least expensive as you already have the floor and you can simply just clean it. You can also have it stained with concrete stain and make it warmer looking. The advantage here is simply price. The disadvantage is low on aesthetics and most likely will crack over time if it is not already cracked.
2. If you have an existing deck, this is another low-cost option since you already have the flooring in place. Most likely additional structure will need to be added to hold the weight of the roof and screen put underneath the joists so bugs cannot get inside the porch from below. This option is one of the best when you consider aesthetics and value.
3. Upgrade your deck boards to Trex or another composite decking. This will insure all boards are uniform in appearance and will never have splinters and never need maintenance other than cleaning. The only disadvantages are higher cost and there are people who prefer the real wood.
4. For a more finished room appearance, putting a tile on the floor such as Travertine enhances the beauty of the room and obviously nothing can get in from below. The disadvantage is a higher price point.
Keep in mind the overall value and appearance you are looking for and check out our photo gallery at http://www.charlotte.archadeck.com to see many porch flooring options!
Archadeck of Charlotte designed and build this screen porch with Travertine porch floor
When it comes to remodeling your bathroom, tile seems to be the place most people start. Whether it be for new bathroom flooring or shower walls or shower flooring, there are choices!
Value Remodelers and Handyman Services (an Archadeck of Charlotte company) specializes in kitchen and bath remodeling and spends literally hours researching new tiles and their appropriate applications each and every year. We go to the various trade shows and work with local retailers such as The Tile Collection here in Pineville, NC to identify the latest trends and styles. Customers today want larger tiles like 16×16 or 18×18 to be the feature on their bathroom floors while their shower floors are going to smaller mosaic type tiles that are less slippery. Travertine tile is another very popular option for flooring as well as backsplashes over the vanities. Travertine when sealed is not as porous and makes a beautiful real stone looking tile.
Master showere by Value Remodelers of Charlotte
When it comes to the shower wall tiles, we see medium sized tiles and rectangular tiles for those who want a more contemporary look. When you see the wall tiles, often the designers are impregnating them with glass or mosaic small decorative insert tiles to provide some flare.
We often get asked about the price of the various tiles and it truly differs by substrate. Your travertine tiles are very reasonably priced as are the ceramic tiles. When you get into the glass and mosaic tiles, the price jumps considerably but these are typically used as accents and so therefore a relatively small amount is required to do the job.
Grout is an important variable when it comes to aesthetics of the overall tile job as well as the performance. If you are mixing the grout yourself, make SURE you are following the manufacturer’s instructions as the key to getting the right color and consistency varies by producer! Please visit our web site to get great tile ideas and over kitchen and bath ideas at http://www.valueremodelers.com or come to our show room at 2311 Village Lake Drive in Charlotte, NC.
Value Remodelers and Handyman Serices is an Archadeck of Charlotte company that totally remodeled this master bathroom shower with frameless glass