Any one who has been through any type of home renovation has experienced construction delays. It is a reputation that is well earned.
The reasons most laymen attribute this phenomenon to are:
- They are using my money and going to another job
- They are disorganized
- They are lazy
- They are incompetent
While this is true in some cases, I will share with you from a professionals point of view, some additional causes. I happen to be a part of a franchise system so I know hundreds of remodeling contractors across the country and fully understand what happens. Here are the most common causes:
- The scope of work changes: more often than not, cleints have change orders to their original scope of work and this may require everything from updating the building permit, updating the HOA information, ordering additional and possibly special order materials, and so forth. Meanwhile, we do not want to leave that job so the jobs that had been promised afterwards are now delayed!
- Unforeseen sight conditions: when you are a remodeling contractor, you cannot predict things you cannot see or know for sure. For example, when you are digging footings and there is a drain where no one know. This is a problem!
- Weather: for exterior remodeling, weather is a big variable that is quite misunderstood. Even if it only rains partially one day, there is a good chance that entire day is lost. It may result in an additional day or 2 if it is too wet to perform the service.
- Human factors: while we believe we are going to complete a project in a specified time, the skilled labor we all depend on are still humans! Meaning, they get sick, have problems, car troubles, etc…..
When you are planning your next remodeling project, plan for these delays, they should be expected but most likely for the reasons you had not thought of!
For more on remodeling, go to archadeckofcharlotte.com